Thursday, May 27, 2010


It's over. Fin. Finished. I worked, worried and stressed and it was over in an hour. But it was all worth it and I'm glad I did it. I'm talking about the art program at the school. Our Art Exhibit was last night and it looked so nice and everyone enjoyed it.
Without the help of all of my docents I could never have pulled it off. They all gave me several hours and helped me cover the ugly UGLY cafeteria tables and make them look good enough to hang art from. Our biggest job was just putting all of the name tags with all of the art. It was all organized by class, but we still had a few issues just getting everything right the first time.
Needless to say, but I'm exhausted. I love putting stuff like this together. Any kind of presentation. Getting the design in my head and then seeing it come to life. It's so much fun. This had me so nervous because it was being presented to the school. All the teachers, the kids, the parents. I want them to know that what we do is important and that their kids' art work was important.
Every station had music to fit it's art. The "Blue Dog", which is based on an artist out of Louisiana, had crickets and southern sounds in the evening playing in the background. The Sumi-e, a Japanese ink art, had YoYo Ma playing a beautiful Asian song softly with it. My Hands of Rodin art had Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" playing. For the Mosaic Landscapes art I had bird's chirping playing softly as if you were in a garden. And finally, for the Bowl of Fruit art, which had beautiful bright colors, we had a nice Caribbean instrumental song playing. This way each station you visited would have it's own sound. It was hard to get it to sound good in a cafeteria, but all in all, it was nice.
Anyway, I'm glad it's over until next year.
I think one of my favorite things about teaching the art classes is having the kids get so excited everytime I come into their classrooms. Being called the "Art Lady" or Mallorie's Mom. The little ones are so adorable. They always tell me hi. And they always ask about Ava when she isn't with me.
Rusty took Thursday off to take care of Ava for me. I couldn't take her to the brunch this morning and I most certainly couldn't take her to the school to finish working on the Art Exhibit. Now he's her BFF. Everytime I leave her with him I come home and she just wants to play with her daddy. I love it!
She's been extremely fussy this week, which has been driving me nuts, but I think I found the culprit tonight. Two new teeth. It's the ones next to her front bottom. I didn't even expect them. But they are there. And her bottom molars are about to explode through her gums! Her poor mouth must hurt so bad. She won't even let me see.
She's been eating like a horse this week. Rusty was surprised today at how often she was hungry. She burns it off so fast though. All this kid does is play and run around and climb up and down off of her chair, the couches, the steps, and anything else she can find to put herself up on.
I'm going to go on to bed. I think I've hit the wall on my energy and I don't want to end up so tired tomorrow that I just want to nap the whole day. I have to go tear down all of the art. Is summer break ever gonna get here? I'm dreaming of Texas!
I hope you have a wonderful Friday. I am so excited for the three day weekend. An extra day to just hang with my girlies and hopefully get some more of my plants in the ground.


sbeudy said...

You did a great job Sarah. The art looked so nice. I know the kids had to be SO excited to see their art! Now what are you going to do next year to top it? hehe

Anonymous said...

great displays of the student's art work. I bet each parent loved each "art center" and the corresponding music. Wish I'd been there!! You've found your niche.You did a wonderful job volunteering for the kids! Love MOM