Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Amazing

"Sometimes I just amaze myself!"quoted by my father about a dinner he made recently, then stolen by me for the dinner I made tonight. I have to share it...because honestly, it was that good.

I made chicken quesadillas, mexican rice and homemade guacamole.

The mexican rice is what I want to share. I was surprised at how easy it was. I have always been afraid to cook it (from scratch) because it seemed pretty complicated.
Here's the recipe:

1 1/3 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 red onion, chopped & sauted
2 stalks celery, chopped & sauted
2 cloves garlic minced & sauted
pepper,seasoning salt and cilantro to taste

First put a tsp of oil in the bottom of the pan you're going to cook the rice in. Add the rice and brown it for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously. Then add your water and tomato sauce and seasonings. While this is going on, saute your onions and celery on oil and then close to the end, add your garlic. Saute for a few more minutes and then add to the rice that should be starting to boil at this point. Simmer covered for 20 minutes and then fluff with your fork. Then eat and groan because it is so goooood!

I am not one to talk much about my cooking because I am still learning all the time, but this was so good and easy. You can never go wrong with quesadillas and guac, so have some yummy mexican food this week without have to go to a restaurant. (Well, that's my excuse anyway. We're trying our hardest not the eat out for the next few weeks.)

Okay. On to the rest of our lives. Today we did nothing. It was too hot to want to move. I know no one feels sorry for me, but for us it feels hot. It probably hit around 85 today. Finally this afternoon I had a few dollars so I took the girls to Starbucks for a treat and then we went to Sprouts for some veggies and a few other ingredients for this week's dinners. I love that place, by the way. It's just like a farmer's market all the time.

We got home and Mallorie took a nap. Thank the Lord! I mean that in the most loving way I can. She was being a terror & I needed some time to not discipline any one. Hannah watched Ava for a while until Rusty got home and then she helped me cook dinner. We had so much fun together. This was the first time I let Hannah cut up raw chicken. I have always been too afraid to let her use the knife, but at this point, she needs to know. She did great and didn't stab herself once.

As you can see, our day was riveting. An old friend that I used to swim on swim team with found me on facebook so I am pretty excited to get back in touch with her and see how she is doing. I hope you all have a great week and I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

No comments: